Does your golden sheds? Have you observed your gorgeous golden’s hairs all around your house? Grooming your pup perfectly will keep you away from shedding. Well, brushing is a great way to reduce shedding. After long 1-month research of best dog brush for golden retriever, I am finally listing the top brushes.
What are the benefits, features, pros & cons, and the best piece of information is provided below, my goal is to provide you the genuine information of the most trustworthy brush for your champ.
Let’s get into it!!
There’s always a reason before selecting a product (dog brush) so before directly going to the best list of products I would like to help you in guiding and understanding the terms which make the best dog brush standing out!!
This will immensely help you to choose a perfect brush for your golden retriever!
Here we go…
Top 5 Best Dog Brush For Golden Retriever (Preview Table)
|FURminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool for Dogs||Check Latest Price|
|Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush [Recommended]||Check Latest Price|
|Pro Quality Self Cleaning Slicker Brush||Check Latest Price|
|Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush||Check Latest Price|
|DakPets Deshedding Brush-Dog Hair||Check Latest Price|
Why you need a brush for your dog?
Dog’s hairs shed (it’s common) and are always been in the vacuum cleaner during the cleaning of the house? And even Max (golden retriever) had the same problem and when I went to the vet, he suggested me to brush Max daily. I did it and within the first week, I started observing changes. Well, the vet was right!
Coming to the main point, why we need to brush our dog? So basically brushing helps the dog to keep their coat & skin health by removing the dead hair, distributing natural oil for a clean and healthy coat, stimulating the skin surface, getting rid of the dead and dry skin of your pup.
Now you are somewhat similar I think?
Why Grooming is important?
Well, not only it keeps your dog’s look healthy but also there are lot of benefits, here is the list for why grooming is considered as important.
- Ventilates the coat
- Takes away old and damaged hair
- Helps in growing healthy and strong hairs
- Skin can breathe and keeps down the level of grease in their coat.
- Prevents painful mats.
- Also, it helps to spot anything unusual, for instance, bumps, parasites.
- Healthy blood circulation.
- Also, it helps your golden to be comfortable and look good!
Grooming helps in keeping away infectious diseases and hence, grooming is considered an essential part.
Grooming not only contains brushing well there’s a lot more about grooming and I’ve mentioned some grooming tips at the end of this guide.
I’ll let you know more about it in the latter half of this article.
How to choose the best dog brush for a golden retriever?
Well, before listing you the best list of brushes for your pup, I just want to tell you that there are few factors that make a brush good. And in this short section, I would like to mention some key features that you should look before purchasing a brush.
As you and I are quite familiar that how important grooming is, right? So, make sure that you don’t choose a brush that harm’s your canine’s skin or coat.
These are few things which should be considered before buying a brush!
- Durability – how much pressure can the brush hold?
- Purpose – Brush that is built to target a double-coated dog of medium to long length.
- Functionality – Exactly how does your brush works? Whether it will lift the removed hairs? Or will pull the loose hairs?
So, here’s the top 5 list..
Top 5 Best dog brush for Golden Retriever
So, below I’m listing down the top 5 & best dog brush for Golden Retriever. Nothing is perfect and hence you’ll not find all you want features in one brush, instead keep the main shedding problem of your pup in your mind and make an easy decision to buy the best brush!
Below selected brushes are highly rated by dog owners and their pups, let’s have a look!
This product is one of the smartest and worlds’ most popular grooming products. This is perfect for huge, long-haired dogs. As it’s long hair stainless steel de-shedding edge that reaches through the topcoat and will remove any loose hair safely.
A smart de-shedding tool that really helps us and is number 1 in its category with 4.5-star ratings.
Are you really fed up with your golden retriever’s shedding of hairs? Furminator will help you out and using this will help you to reduce shedding. Honestly, there is no way to completely stop dogs from shedding, but we can reduce it up to 90% and this brush actually does it.
FURminator teeth are long and reach up to the topcoat easily without harming the skin of your golden retriever.
Furminator will help you in reducing shedding, remove excess hairs from double-coated dogs. And the grip of this brush is pretty good 😉
(There’s a small little button at the backside of this tool which really helps to drop the hairs after every stoke, I really love this feature)
It gets out the dirt, tangles and eliminates shedding.
For Retrievers, a go-to brush!
This brush is also widely popular and it has all things that a dog brush should have!
It can detangle your dog’s coat, removing the shed hairs, matting. It is comfortable, strong durable, easy to use a slicker brush.
This brush includes fine wires that are extremely gentle on your dog’s skin but still work amazingly well to remove dirt and dander.
It helps to keep your dog’s coat healthy and promotes blood circulations. It also helps to keep your dog’s coat soft and shiny.
And this brush is really easy to clean, once you are done with brushing just click the button at the backside and the bristles will retract back into the brush.
Below the dog brush category Hertzko is one of the bestsellers, and actually this product is good!
Do you have a large golden retriever? Long hairs on your pup? Pro Quality Self Cleaning Slicker Brush makes a perfect deal for you. It works similarly to the above-listed products and also emphasizes the button feature.
The collected hairs in the brush fall on the ground once we press the button. This product has good durability and the design of the brush and with the materials, and for thick coats it works great.
Effectively removes tangles, mats, dirt, and loose fur from your golden retriever effortlessly. When you’ll get this product you’ll also get an ebook guide and they have lifetime money-back guarantee.
This is also a great product to go for. Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush has retracting pins which make it easy to clean. The pins are made up of stainless steel, which helps to remove the tangles, mats, and dead hairs gently.
This brush works for all types of coats. As golden retriever has double coat this brush will definitely help you out.
This brush had made a good spot and is also selected as amazon’s choice.
This tool is also great and a popular tool, dozens of ratings make this product valuable and the features of the products are also great. There are also some unique features.
Are you dealing with the loose hair problems and dead furs? DakPets Deshedding Brush-Dog Hair is exactly what you need!
This lightweight tool really helps us to make the process of grooming comfortable. After you are done with brushing your golden retriever you can remove the blade of this product and can keep it aside or at a safer place!
As this brushing tool has good ratings and well price DakPets Deshedding Brush-Dog Hair brush has made a place in ‘Amazon Choice’ and to come under amazon choice a product needs to fulfill by amazon, highly rated and prime eligible items.
Now, let me explain to you the types of Dog brushes, just go through the bullet points mentioned, you’ll get the concept.
Types of Dog brushes
Brushing your dog’s coat is one of the significant grooming essentials. It helps to eliminate tangles, mats, and keeps the coat shiny and healthy.
Different type of dog requires different types of dog brushes. Using the right type of brush for your dog is important! And using the wrong type of brush may result in discomfort & pain.
These are the four types of dog brushes:
- Slicker Brush
- Pin Brush
- Bristle Brush
- Rake Brush
Let’s understand it now!
1. Slicker Brush
- Slicker Brushes are used for medium to long-haired to curly-haired dogs and it’s quite helpful to remove mats.
- There are many varieties of slicker brushes available, so you can pick any size which suits your dog.
- It helps in to remove loose hairs, dirt, mats, and tangled hairs.
- Slicker Brushes are really great to detangle long hairs.
- I would suggest choosing the correct size and a comfortable grip handle to groom, brush your pup easily.
- Tightly spaced wires can cause discomfort so be gentle while you are brushing your golden retriever.
- Most of the pet owners use this type of brush.
- For Golden Retrievers slicker brushes are excellent and most recommendable.
- For example, Golden Retrievers, St. Bernards and etc.
2. Pin Brush
- Pin Brushes look similar to brushes, commonly used by the people.
- You’ll see that most of the Pin Brushes are oval-shaped and loosely arranged set of flexible wires with pins on the top.
- Mostly they will pick up the loose hairs from your pup and personally they do benefit and are useful.
- Pin Brush is useful for brushing through the topcoats which results in removing few tangles but honestly not that effective.
- For additional comfort, Pin Brush comes with rubber-tipped pins.
- They usually aren’t able to penetrate further, so a proper & best dog brush for golden retriever is the slicker brush.
- A pin brush is somewhat similar to Slicker brush and for most of the pet owners, this is the first go-to brush where slicker brushes should be a go-to.
- They give a finishing touch to your grooming process.
- But you should have one pin brush, you can get it locally easily.
3. Bristle Brush
- Bristle Brushes are used for short hair and smooth-coated dogs.
- These kinds of brushes will remove loose hairs and will also stimulate your pup’s skin.
- Bristle brushes are commonly made out of boar hair or nylon.
- They do come with bristles that are tightly packed.
- I would not recommend this type of brush for Golden Retrievers.
- Great for shorter hairs and daily brushing
- For example, Pugs, Jack Russell Terriers and etc.
4. Rake Brush
- Rake Brushes are designed to penetrate into the dog’s thick coat and effectively remove tangles and dead undercoat near the dog’s skin.
- The shape of rakes is a kind of shaving razor.
- It has 1 or 2 rows of tightly-spaced pins.
- They should never be used with a lot of pressure, you just need a gentle hand on the rakes so that your pup’s skin doesn’t get hurt.
- Rakes are quite helpful for dogs with dead undercoats, especially during the shedding season.
- While purchasing a rake make sure that you check the size and length of the pins. Choose one with rotating teeth for best results because they pull out loose clumps of fluff without pulling out rooted hair.
- You can use this with Slicker Brush, before starting the brushing of your golden retriever, use rakes to get rid of the tangles at the undercoat then proceed with the Slicker Brush.
- I would recommend that with one slicker brush you should have one rake brush too.
I hope that these bullet points have helped you to understand the types of brushes. You can also refer to Hartz to know more about these brushes.
General Questions around Best dog brush for Golden Retriever
Who don’t have questions? Well, i hope that most of your doubts are covered below.
How often should i brush my Golden Retriever?
Brush your Golden Retriever daily. As they have long hairs daily brushing helps them to prevent matting and reduce shedding. It’s not a rule that you have to brush daily, rather you can experiment that whether brushing him daily, every alternate day, or twice a week will work or not. And once you know the requirement you can move on doing it regularly. Just keep in mind that you at least need 2 brushings per week.
Which is the best way to de-shed a golden retriever?
Brushing! Yes, brushing is the best way to de-shed your golden retriever and will help you to get rid of loose hairs, tangles, and mats. You can refer to the above mentioned few lines which answer’s how often should you brush your golden retriever.
Best Furminator for golden retriever?
Which is the best brush for golden retriever?
It’s quite a similar question respected to the above one, and If you ask me then I would genuinely say that the slicker brushes that I’ve mentioned above all of them are honestly good and have dozens of ratings and good reviews on Amazon. Then too I would lay down best dog brush for golden retriever with my personal notes!
1. FURminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool for Dogs (Best Overall)
2. Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush (Alternative for FURminator, Best Pick)
3. Pro Quality Self Cleaning Slicker Brush (Runner Up #1)
4. Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush (Runner Up #3)
5. DakPets Deshedding Brush-Dog Hair (Runner Up #2)
When to start brushing Golden Retriever puppy?
Well, when you see that your Golden Retriever puppy is growing and you can start brushing him when you see his hair growing, loose hairs are all around your house.
After going through this buying guide I’m sure that you have made an easy decision to get the best dog brush for a golden retriever.
I’ve also got a 5 chapters detail guide on ‘How to Take Care of Golden Retriever‘ and I’m dam sure that you guys will find it helpful!
All the best on buying a new brush. I hope that it was helpful!